This introductory course to Women’s Pattern Cutting is aimed at more experienced dressmakers who have a good knowledge of sewing and dressmaking and who want to create clothes to FIT their own personal shape. (This course is not for anyone wanting to enter the garment industry, however it would give you a good insight and start to understanding the concept of this).
In this 6 week course we create a first SKIRT BLOCK which is then tailored to FIT your shape perfectly. This is then translated into a toile and finally you will create one simple skirt (usually an A line or Pencil fit) with some adjustments to add a design element of your choice.
This is NOT for beginners, we expect a reasonable understanding of garments, fabrics and knowledge to be able to make garments up without too much help from the teacher at this stage.(Please ask us if you need some help with this decision)
Experienced Dress Makers
What you learn
• Taking accurate measurements
• Pattern drafting, including dart design, to perfectly tailor your measurements
• A line adaption, how to add ease and flow to your desired shape
• Creating waistbands and pockets.
• Your own personal block and skirt pattern
• Some great tips and techniques to show how to get that professional finish to your garment
What you make
• A skirt block to your personal fit measurements
• A Toile in calico, this is a fitting procedure to get a perfect fitting Block
• A final Skirt block and an adaption to an A Line or pencil skirt with waistband and or pockets if required.
All materials and fabric for toiles and samples but not for your final garment, you will be provided with fabric information so you make a good choice. We have machines and necessary equipment but you are very welcome to bring your bits; if you are bringing your own machine it is unlikely to be used until weeks 3-6.
6 week course, 7-9pm – studio will be open from 6.45pm