This course is aimed at beginners and improvers who have started on their journey in dressmaking working with paper patterns is the easy point to start making your own clothes and accessories.
Paper patterns have been a great source of inspiration for many years since the end of WW11 when the concept became popular and with todays surge in SEWING popularity, the old classics have been joined by many differing options that might leave you feeling overwhelmed, publications and independent designers plus more choice than you can imagine to download from the internet.
What we cover in this workshop and what you will learn:
- Where to start, where to buy guidelines
- Commercial patterns versus the indies and downloading and buying patterns on the internet the pros and cons
- Reading the various types of patterns, understanding and interpreting the sizing and fabric consumption and terminology
- Understanding the process and instructions from layplans to the detail
- Tracing and copying to preserve printed and tissue patterns a vital element to save costs and why
- Best ways to lay fabrics down pinning and other ways to weight and keep your patterns in place, dealing with difficult fabrics tips and techniques
- Understanding about pattern markings and transferring to your fabric, different options and preparation
- Cutting out
All equipment, pins, scissors, cake! and our handouts with top tips !
Bring along your own paper patterns/magazines if you have found something you like and need help on.