Essential Techniques and Skills
A 5-week course in which we will focus on different techniques to build your confidence and skills for future projects
- Closures: We look at the many different ways you can finish off your projects, including zips, buttons and button holes.
- Learn more about terms like stay-stitching, under-stitching and top-stitching; how and where to use them and why.
- Bindings and edgings: finishing and over-stitching different seams.
- Decorative techniques and finishes: applique, piping and bindings.
- During the first 3 weeks we will build a Reference Portfolio, an essential reference guide. This will include making samples to which you can refer in future.
- In weeks 4-5 you will use some of your new skills to make 2 cushions in your own choice of fabric.
- We will supply the materials for your portfolio but you will need to provide the fabric for your cushion making. (You will receive a handout for this in week 1)
- This is a great class if you have just started sewing and want to get to grips quickly with techniques.
5 weeks 1.30 – 3.30pm (10 hours) – £100
Tutor Jane Doxey
Jane started her career working in product design and development for Liberty of London and went on to be a Creative Director at one of M&S primary suppliers, traveling far and wide to establish and develop partnerships in many countries around the world. She was instrumental in developing the first Brand Design procedures at Liberty and has since worked with many blue chip companies helping expand their product potential and creativity. In the last decade she has taken a more sustainable approach to working, helping many smaller independent artists and groups develop and better understand working and designing for business, under a program called ‘Creativity and Professionalism’. Creativity is in her blood and she once made a Dress in a Bank vault out of real money to celebrate the launch of a very famous Cash Prize. Pictures on request!