Whether you are just at the beginning of your sewing journey or have been sewing a little while and need some support and assurance, this class caters for a wide range of beginner abilities from new Bees to the more confident and adventurous. This class is aimed to beef up the essential skills and techniques you need to enhance your sewing experience and add a professional touch to your sewing projects. We have small classes and a great teacher to student ratio, which enables students to learn at their own pace and if they want bring their own projects in and start practicing the skills learnt we encourage this in the later weeks of the sessions.
- Confident Beginner
What you learn
Start you own techniques bible, this is a way to encourage you to experiment and explore new skills and techniques.
In each of the 4 weekly classes, the first 1 hour is spent covering a different technique and method, here are some of the things we cover:
- Selecting fabrics
- Needles, threads and stitch choices
- Different ways to do buttonholes and their applications when and where
- Zippers – choosing the right insertion method, we cover couture finishing, standard and invisible methods and some modern ways to use zippers
- Piping/bias bindings and insertion trimmings, some top tips and secret quick methods includes making your own.
- Modern applique and traditional ways to add decorative finishes that give your clothes that designer touch
- Freehand and machine embroidery and using your machine in a non-convectional way
- Seams and finishing, we cover the most essential types of seams and also some couture and professional touches
- Hemlines, how to get these perfect and machine versus hand hems including rolled and machine hemming.
What you make
From the above your bible will be created and in each class you will compile samples to keep and remind you of how and what is required for each technique. Supporting notes will be included throughout the courses. We will encourage you to make up some items for example cushions are a great way to use your skills, however if you have something you have started or want to start we will guide and advice you on these also. Please bear in mind these sessions are intended to give you a good knowledge of techniques rather than constructing a single item over the period.
Some of the materials required for making samples.
Time: 9.30am-12.30pm, 4 week course running on Wednesdays
Monday Beginners – 10am–1pm
Wednesday 9.30am – 12.30pm