A delicious recipe for Pancake Day or any day you fancy a treat!
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 225ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. golden syrup
- 25g butter, melted
- Oil or lard, for greasing
Top with lemon and sugar or maple syrup and add a piece of crispy bacon.
- Place the flour and baking powder in a bowl, make a well in the centre then add the egg and half the milk. Beat to a smooth, thick batter, and then beat in enough of the remaining milk to give the consistency of thick cream.
- Warm the golden syrup a little, then beat this into the batter, along with the melted butter.
- Heat a large, heavy-based, non-stick frying pan and lightly grease with oil or lard, wiping out any excess. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter into the frying pan, spacing the mixture well apart. When bubbles start to appear on top, turn the pancakes and cook on the other side for a further 30 seconds to 1 minute until they are a light golden-brown.
- Remove from the frying pan and place on a wire rack to cook, covering them with a tea towel to keep them soft. Grease the pan as before, and continue cooking until all the batter has been used.